Did You Know That A Filipino Architect Designs The Al Murooj RotanaHotel In Dubai?

The hotel that raises the bar for its sophistication, luxury and indulgence is considered as one of the landmark projects at the United Arab Emirates with its very unique design that has been admired by travelers around the world.

In 1983, Arch. Joseph Requilme, worked in Kuwait together with top American designers of SOM, the group well-known for skyscrapers and the contractor for Burj Dubai, recognized as the world’s tallest building when he was a fresh graduate.

After seven years, he went back to the Philippines as the Gulf war broke off. It was indeed a terrible experience for him and for his family where he decided to let them stay for a while in the Philippines.

Joseph Requilme World Class Filipino Architect Designs Al Murooj Rotana Hotel

When he was in the Philippines, he was interviewed by a Chinese who later hired him for Singapore and eventually brought his family to stay with him too.

“My projects in Singapore were not as big as those in Kuwait but it was a good career move because there was a good variety in the projects. I became better-rounded as a designer. After my stint in Singapore and learning that Dubai was in a construction boom, I went there in 1998 to look for a job through my sister,” he explained.

Al Murooj Rotana Hotel Building

According to Arch. Requilme, he gives his best at work. The efforts he put in designing a building is the same with what he put into designing a toilet. Even what others consider as unimportant requires your best. Excellence is difficult but it pays off. Even when others don’t take notice, excellence always results to something in the end.

“I buy a lot of books and research on the latest architectural trends. People can design but it's important for designs to go with the times and market demand. Architecture in Dubai is more lavish and dominant in features. In Singapore, they go for practicality and functionality,” he said.

Joseph Requilme World Class Filipino Architect Designing Landmarks Abroad 3
Many people know that Filipinos are great builders because they have the “gift of eye” and they know aesthetics by nature. His only problem is not having cultivated his skills with clients. He got stuck to the attitude of minding his only designs and leaving presentations to his boss. He thought that he would have been good if he could do both.

“My boss initiated if I would be interested with management. I said it's useless to work in an area where I am not effective. I have to be where I am an expert. I say that as long as I can still hold a pencil, I will continue to design. I have reached a certain acceptance in my field that designing is enough for me. I don't need to have my own firm, I enjoy what I do,” he stated.

He considers Al Murooj Rotana Hotel as his signature project. From the initial concept to its interior as well as the landscape, he poured himself out in this project. He also got involved with details assigned to others.

“In life, one should set priorities. If you want a great career, be strong in your relationship with God. If you leave out God, what can your boss give you?” he added.

Joseph Requilme World Class Filipino Architect Designing Landmarks Abroad 4



Disclaimer: All images in this post are copyrighted and are the propriety of their respective owners.

Artikel Amazing Viral Now Lainnya :

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Scroll to top